Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chicken Stir-Fry

According to Wikipedia I made stir-fry tonight with a combination of steaming. Sergio does not dig Spinach and I know that that is not a typical ingredient anyways but I love making dishes my own. To this I added cilantro for my own spin. I can proudly say that this one is definitely straight from my imagination. Since it was such a hit with him I will write this post out more like a recipe card so I can look back on it later. I hope you all get a chance to make it or be inspired to make something similar.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp vegetable oil (or any other high smoke point oil like peanut oil or lard)
3 garlic cloves - finely chopped
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (each cut into halves and then chopped into bite-size pieces)
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
1/4 c light soy sauce (that's the only kind I had on hand)
1 onion- julienne d
1 red bell pepper - julienne d
1 pint of button mushrooms - stemmed and roughly chopped
1 c (handful of cilantro) - roughly chopped

Heat your wok or largest skillet to high heat and then add the oil. Add the garlic and bell peppers and stir frequently so garlic doesn't burn. Add the onions, soy sauce and vinegar and continue to stir. Add the chicken and cilantro and cover with a lid or with foil and lower heat to medium. If I were to use beef I would add that first and then remove it to add the veggies and then return it so it doesn't dry out. Since the chick was thinly sliced and then chopped the moisture from the liquids and the really watery vegetables will help cook the chicken through. After about 5 to 7 minutes add the mushrooms. I served the dish over white rice. I added a Serrano pepper to my rice and water for some heat while it cooked, it wasn't too hot at all, yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment