Saturday, December 11, 2010

Vegetable (protein optional) Soup

A few months ago I gave up on chicken stock in a box and after my first attempt at stock from scratch I started using the powdered chicken bouillon.  I'm sure it isn't good for you but it sure does taste good.  It is such a staple in my cooking of soups and Mexican rice too.  My recent switch made me try it in a vegetable soup.  I threw into my largest stock pot a huge yellow onion quartered, 4 large garlic cloves, a couple bay leaves, salt pepper, 12 cups of water, 12 tsp of chicken bouillon, 2 sliced zucchinis, 2 sliced and peeled carrots, a peeled and quartered potato and finally a whole cabbage quartered.  You can add meatballs and make Mexican Albondiga soup or throw in some chicken breats, cook them , then remove them and shred them and put them back in.  You can make a fish stew if you like or keep it vegetarian and add some Mexican or arboreal rice.  I like to serve my soup with a small squeeze of lemon or lime juice and dash of Tapatio.

No comments:

Post a Comment