Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eat to Live

Eat to Live is the name of a book I read by Dr. Joel Furhman.  He describes, explains and back-ups his intense and strict method of helping people achieve disease free living.  By using his way of thinking when preparing meals you can reverse hert-disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, and reach your ideal weight.  I haven't been doing his strict 6 week version of plan but I have been following his regular plan for the last week.  I didn't weigh myself before starting but I cannot believe how easily it is to turn away processed foods and opt for a salad, fruit, nuts or berries.   It was tough the first 3 days, i craved bread, so I made a whole wheat bread sandwich stuffed to the brim with tomatoes, bell peppers, romaine lettuce and shredded carrots.

Essentially the ideal is to change your point of view on the food pyramid that we learned as children.  The basis of the Furhman pyramid is structured by nutrition content of food.  So, since "animal foods" contain hardly any nutritional value, you can still eat it but you need to give your body the appropriate amount of nutrient rich greens and fruits for it to keep you body healthy.  I don't think I can explain what he does in an entire book in this blog post but I hope that you will at least give a chance to see what your body feels like after a few weeks.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I have no more desire to eat beef or chicken or dairy products.  It's as though they are not food.  I feel like if I ate a piece of beef it would give me nothing; might as well eat the plastic it came wrapped in!  Better yet, this is not a diet it is a new way of looking at food, and after only a week my brain and body are craving the things that it truly needs.  Can you believe it?  I think it is awesome.  You won't feel deprived, trust me, even Sergio is digging it now too!

So, I have to tell you about the initial days.  It wasn't that easy, like I mentioned before I did have cravings.  Another "side-effect" was that I felt like i was on  cleanse (if you know what I mean).  My body was truly reacting to the fact that I eating more green, which get absorbed much quicker and therefore pass through quicker.  TMI?  Maybe and maybe not.  You can ask my poor dear husband, that I was bitching and moaning while we were at the hotel about stomach aches and cramps and irregularity   But ask him if I've complained since then.  Anyhow, the book is now at the top of the Amazon.com book list, how can that be if isn't working for people.  I don't think I've ever wanted to urge something onto others so much before in my life.  I guess it's selfish because I hope that the people I love and care for will take this and at least try it so that I can enjoy them for a lot longer.

Anyhow, if you try it let me know how it goes for you.  Check out the book first and then dive in to treating your body right without even trying.

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment