Friday, October 12, 2012

Stop buying salad dressing NOW!


While staying at the home of our wonderful Conroe hosts, during the escrow of our first home, I took with me more than a new friendship.  I learned to see food in a completely different way.  I can now feel my body telling me what is and isn't nutritious.  It is so easy to turn away from sweets and processed snacks too.  I also have come to realize something that I took for granted was the amount of oil in almost all salad dressings.  Take a look at the ones in your fridge and you'll see that they either start with some type of oil or have sugar/sweetener as one of the top ingredients followed by a bunch of ingredients that require a dictionary to understand.

When we first arrived I was surprised to see our host mixing up some really odd ingredients and then pouring them over her salad.  I later learned that she regularly made her own dressings.  She made two while we stayed there and they were both amazing with ingredients you just wouldn't expect, such as fruits and nuts.  I haven't tried those specific ones from our stay with our hosts myself but I did try the recipe below.  Sergio and I had a salad on one of the days we were still moving into the house but all we had available was some Zesty Italian dressing.  That dressing compared to this one is like night and day, big time!  There really is no comparison.  Once you have made your own dressing and replaced the oil with natural fats like those found in nuts and replaced the acid from a sodium ridden vinegar with that of lemon juice and mustard you get a delicious healthful dressing that is rich and creamy.  I very much look forward to salads and making more salad dressings.

1 1/3 cups water
1 cup raw pistachio nuts
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
4 teaspoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 dates, pitted*

Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Add water as needed to achieve desired consistency.

* I didn't have dates so I used about 1/4 cup of raisins instead.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment